Schenectady College and Career Outreach Center
Welcome to the Schenectady College and Career Outreach Center (SCCOC), a Division of SUNY Schenectady County Community College. The SCCOC is funded by the State University of New York (SUNY) University Center for Academic and Workforce Development (SUNY UCAWD). SUNY UCAWD provides strategic direction and funding for two Outreach Centers (SCCOC and the North Bronx Career Counseling and Outreach Center), ten Educational Opportunity Center’s (EOCs) and over 35 ATTAIN Labs located across New York state. SCCOC has served thousands of residents in the community since 1977 providing services and support to community residents (not currently enrolled college students) looking to connect to pathways of employment, education, and career and technical training opportunities. SCCOC is located on the first floor of Center City, 433 State St. in downtown Schenectady.
SCCOC provides preparation, referral, and advisement services to NYS residents ages 16 years old and older (no age limit beyond 16), who are looking to connect to pathways of education, employment, and career and technical training opportunities.
All Services are Free
- Assistance with the college application process
- Career and educational advising
- Community resources and referrals
- Employment and education enrichment programs and workshops
- Financial aid application assistance
- Individual assistance with the financial aid application process
- Individual cover letter assistance
- Individual resume preparation assistance
- Job fairs, college fairs, and community agency fairs
- Job leads and vacancy listings
- On site hiring and interviews with local employers
- “Opportunity Room” housing computers for job searching, preparing resumes, applying to college, and applying for financial aid.
- Referrals for college loan default assistance
SCCOC opened in Schenectady in November 1977 and for over four decades, the Center has facilitated a neutral and supportive link between low income, educationally bypassed residents residing in Schenectady County and also across the Capital District.
SCCOC was first housed in the SETA Building at 240 Broadway in downtown Schenectady. At that time, SCCOC was, “Schenectady County Community College’s Outreach Counseling Program.” Major funding for the Outreach Counseling Program came from the SUNY Office of Special Programs from discretionary Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) funds. The core grant was renewed in September 1978 and September 1979. During the 1979 legislative session, the Outreach Program was approved for designation as a permanent unit of the overall EOC effort, thereby changing the funding from a discretionary grant to a regular allocation.
For over four decades, thousands of residents have been served and placed in workforce and educational opportunities as a result of the work that the SCCOC staff do to provide individualized support to deliver the Center’s services and achieve the mission—leading participants to economic self-sufficiency through workforce and/or educational access and placements.
- SCCOC is located on the first floor of Center City on State Street.
- Center City is located across the street from Proctor’s Theatre.
- SCCOC is located in the middle of the first floor of Center City right next to the YMCA windows that overlook the YMCA Gym.
- SCCOC is on the CDTA Bus line.
- Parking is available at the Broadway Parking Garage located on Broadway (closest intersected street is State Street).
- The Broadway parking garage is next to Villa Italia Bakery.
- Prospective or current participants of SCCOC are responsible for paying any parking fees.