What is the SUNY Apprenticeship Program
A grant developed by the State University of New York (SUNY) in partnership with the New York State Department of Labor (NYDOL). This grant focuses on engaging small, medium, and large employers in New York to secure paid registered apprenticeships in high-skilled, high-demand and competitive wage occupations in the advanced manufacturing and health care sectors.
The develop and help apprenticeship programs succeed in New York state. This funding allows us to monetarily aid employers in several aress as well as to assist future apprentices. this fund can also be accessed by other SUNY colleges (through Mohawk Valley Community College or SUNY Schenectady County Community College) in order to help apprenticeship programs in their specific areas.
Why Choose an Apprenticeship?
- State tax incentives.
- Empire State Apprenticeship Tax Credit (ESATC)
- Provides tax incentives to certified New York state registered apprenticeship sponsors for hiring newly qualified apprentices. More information can be found at the New York state Department of Labor ESATC page.
- The Apprenticeship Expansion Grant (AEG)
- Offsets costs incurred by employer sponsor who employ apprentices.
More information can be found in this New York state Department of Labor AEG PDF.
- Apprentices have a genuine interest in your industry.
- May reduce hiring costs by providing a streamlined channel to bring on new workers.
- Companies have reported higher productivity, retention rates and substantial return on investment.
Who Can Participate in the SUNY Apprenticeship Program?
- Companies or organizations in advanced manufacturing and healthcare*.
* If you are unsure if your company fits under these two categories, please contact us for verification.
After you decide that apprenticeship is right for you, contact the Office of Workforce Development and Community Education at 518-595-1101 ext. 3 to get started.