School of Music
Welcome to the SUNY Schenectady School of Music!
Here you will find links to a wealth of information regarding our music degree and certificate offerings, auditions, the faculty, and our state-of-the-art facilities. The School of Music faculty is comprised of highly respected performers, scholars, composers, and music industry professionals, all of whom are committed to sharing their vast experience with new generations of musicians.
Upcoming Special Events
- Auditions - May 24, May 31, June 28, and August 2
- Capital Region Wind Ensemble presents "French Impressions" - June 5
The SUNY Schenectady School of Music is fully accredited by the National Association
of Schools of Music.
Degrees and Certificates
- A.S. Performing Arts: Music degree program designed to ensure smooth transfer in the areas of music education, performance, theory/composition, and jazz studies.
- A.A.S. Music Audio Technology degree that combines rigorous musical training with the development of technical skills and experience.
- Certificate in Music is a one-year program designed to develop professional musical skills and prepare students for more advanced music study.
- Certificate in Digital Music and Beat Production is a one year program intended to serve students who wish to pursue careers in digital audio media.
SUNY Schenectady music graduates are regularly accepted for transfer to some of the finest music schools and conservatories. We have a number of transfer agreements with major music schools to help ensure successful transfer experiences. These agreements may be seen by visiting the Music Transfer Agreements link.
Our graduates can be found pursuing successful careers in all facets of the profession. They can be found performing classical as well as jazz and popular music, teaching in universities and public schools, and working in the recording and live sound fields. All of them have one trait in common: a very strong grounding in musical skills and knowledge.
Both of our degree programs require a successful audition. Please follow the Audition Requirements link in order to familiarize yourself with the audition requirements. The Certificate in Music and the Certificate in Digital Music and Beat Production do not require an audition for entrance.
We urge you to explore and find out why the SUNY Schenectady School of Music could be the right choice for you. Please reach out to discuss our programs and requirements.
SUNY Schenectady is a member of the New York State Association of College Music Programs.
For information on musicians health and safety, please visit: https://nasm.arts-accredit.org/publications/brochures-advisories/nasm-pama-hearing-health/