Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content

Frequently Asked Transfer Questions

SUNY Schenectady’s College Board Code / CEEB Code# is 2879

1. Is it helpful to get my degree or should I transfer before I complete my degree?

If you transfer with fewer than 45 credits, the campus will use both your high school performance and your college work to determine if you are eligible. You do not have to pay application fee to other SUNYs if you have A.A. or A.S. degree. Many schools prefer that you have an Associate degree.

2. Do I have to do all 10 of the SUNY General Education requirements before I need to complete my A.A. or A.S. degree?

No, but you need to complete them before you get your Bachelor’s degree.

3. Should I get a second degree?

Generally transfer colleges only accept 60-63 credits from community colleges. There are a few exceptions to that: non traditional schools such as Empire State College and Nyack College. If you have attended a 4 year college, schools may accept more than the 60-63 credits depending on the courses from the 4 year college.

4. Will an A.A.S. degree transfer?

Yes, but it will usually be transferred course by course rather than as a total package and the student should be careful to take all transferable courses in the curriculum (eg. Math course higher than Mat 145).

5. What is the minimum GPA required for admissions to area colleges?

  • SUNY Albany is generally looking for a 2.5 or better and usually a 3.0 or higher in Business, Criminal Justice and Social Work.
  • Union, RPI and Skidmore want a 3.0 or better.
  • Siena, College of St. Rose and Russell Sage want a 2.5 or better, although Russell Sage would consider 2.0 or better.
  • Empire State College requires a 2.0 or better.

6. How do I apply?

Applications are generally online. Applications for local schools may be obtained in Elston Hall, room 222 or you can request them from the respective admissions offices.

7. What are the deadlines for transfer students for area colleges?

Admissions deadlines vary from institution to institution. Students should contact the admissions office or consult the catalog of the particular institution to which you are applying to find out application deadlines. In general, students should begin the application process two semesters before they intend to transfer. Students applying for financial aid and/or scholarships are strongly encouraged to begin the application process as soon as applications are available.

8. Does it matter if we have an articulation agreement with the college?

Yes and no. It is a guarantee that all credits will transfer if you meet all the qualifications. For the College of St. Rose (CSR), for example, if you have a 2.5 and the degree from SUNY Schenectady, you will be admitted to CSR in a program in which we have an articulation agreement. However, most colleges accept credits from A.A. and A.S. degrees whether we have an articulation agreement or not.

9. How many credits will a college transfer in?

See question #3 and # 4.

10. What are the General Education (Gen Ed)requirements of local schools?

Gen Ed's for each college can be found on their websites. SUNY Gen Ed's are at this link.

11. Will a C-, D or F transfer?

Most schools do not transfer Ds or Fs. (There are exceptions). C-s depend on the schools. Locally, Siena—yes, College of St. Rose—yes, Union—no, RPI—no, SUNY Albany—yes but not in your major.

12. If I don’t know what I want to major in, can I still transfer?

Some students may not be ready to select a major in their freshman year. That is not unusual. However, the longer a student takes to decide on a major, the more likely it is that some of the courses taken may not apply to the major. This could result in the student having to earn more than the maximum number of credits transferable to a 4-year college or university. You should meet with the transfer counselor in Elston 222 to assist you in making this decision.

13. Can I change my major after I transfer?

Or when I transfer? Yes. However, changing majors may lengthen the time it takes to earn a degree. Changing majors may also result in the accumulation of more community college credit hours than will transfer to a 4-year college or university.

14. What if I can’t afford the application fee?

If you are EOP eligible financially (check with Financial Aid) then the Financial Aid office will give you a letter to include with your application that says that this student is eligible for EOP and the application fee MAY be waived. Some schools honor this, some do not. Students with A.A. or A.S. degrees (or anticipate getting the degree) from SUNY Schenectady or any New York state community college, do not have to pay the SUNY application fee.

15. What other documents do I need to send? How?

You need to send your transcripts from your high school (yes, even if you have the degree from here) and transcripts from any and all colleges you have attended. Go to the Registrar’s Office and have them send an official copy of your transcript. Also contact the Registrar’s office of all other colleges you have attended. They will want your signature to request a transcript to be sent.

16. What about Financial Aid?

Complete the FAFSA and put all the schools you are applying to on it in order that these schools can access your information. Some schools also require the College Board Code (Union, RPI, Skidmore) All financial aid applications should be completed EARLY to maximize the amount of financial aid. Many schools start giving out in-house grants in February for fall enrollment.