Teaching Assistant certificate
The Teaching Assistant certificate was designed to serve a dual purpose – to assist individuals to meet the New York State Education Department requirements and as a pathway for those interested in continuing their education in pursuit of a teaching degree.
Students earning a Teaching Assistant certificate will have:
- Completed a minimum of four SUNY General Education requirements;
- Completed a three-credit Foundations of Education course and will understand the major theories, models and metaphors used to represent and discuss educational practices;
- Spent a minimum of 10 hours in an educational setting within the community;
- Had an opportunity to assess realistically their interests and possible careers in education, and
- Met the New York State Education Department’s education requirements for a Pre-professional Teaching Assistant Certificate.
Before working in a public educational setting, prospective employees will be required to undergo a fingerprint check. Individuals with a criminal history should be aware that they may have difficulty obtaining clearance for a New York State Teaching Assistant Certificate. Students with questions in this area may want to consult an advisor or college counselor before pursuing the Teaching Assistant certificate program.