Teacher Education Transfer A.S.
The mission of the Teacher Education Transfer A.S. program is to assist in the preparation of highly qualified, trained professionals for public service in the field of education. The program will prepare students for transfer and eventual licensure by providing a solid liberal arts foundation and pre-professional courses.
The Teacher Education Transfer A.S. curriculum is designed for students who want to transfer to a teacher education program at a four-year college or university. The program serves those interested in teaching in a public pre-school through high school setting. The curriculum is compliant with all SUNY and New York State Education Department (SED) requirements for transfer to a baccalaureate program leading to teacher certification.
The program prepares graduates to:
Goal I: Demonstrate a liberal arts foundation for transfer to a 4-year pre-professional teaching program.
- Explore the social, historical, and philosophical origins of the American Educational System
- Locate and analyze research and written texts in the field using a variety of electronic and print sources
- Produce oral and written arguments
- Utilize mathematical and scientific reasoning
- Demonstrate the concepts of human learning
Goal II: Demonstrate an understanding of factors that contribute to professional status.
- Complete a minimum of 30 observation hours in educational settings
- Demonstrate effective reflective practice on observation experiences
- Create and select academic and professional artifacts to support a pre-professional portfolio
Goal III: Demonstrate an understanding of the role of the teaching professional dedicated to ethical practice and cultural responsiveness.
- Identify the requirements for teacher preparation and certification, following SUNY, SED, and NCATE guidelines
- Demonstrate an awareness of the conceptual framework of the NCATE standards
- Identify culturally responsive practices in teacher education in terms of faculty, curriculum and students
- Define service learning and create a service learning unit plan
Before working in a public educational setting, prospective employees will be required to undergo a fingerprint check. Individuals with a criminal history should be aware that they may have difficulty obtaining clearance for student teaching and/or New York State Teacher Licensing. Student with questions in this area may want to consult an advisor or counselor before pursuing the Teacher Education Transfer program.