Turn Your Ideas into Action! Get Ready to Launch Your Business
SUNY Schenectady’s Entrepreneurship Certificate program is designed for students interested in starting and operating their own business venture, growing an existing business, or contributing to an organization with an entrepreneurial mindset. The program includes a solid set of business courses that provides students the knowledge and skills needed to pursue their entrepreneurial goals. Courses include:
- Introduction to Business
- Financial Accounting
- Principles of Management
- Business Plan Development
- Sales and Service
- Human Resource Management
The Entrepreneurship Certificate also serves as a complementary educational component for aspiring business owners enrolled in other SUNY Schenectady programs. For example, it is useful for Culinary Arts or Music Audio Technology majors that aspire to learn the practical “business-side” of operations.
All Entrepreneurship coursework may be applied to SUNY Schenectady’s Business Administration A.A.S. program.
Why SUNY Schenectady?
This program includes faculty commitment to infusing applied learning into core courses and provides unique opportunities and partnerships with the Capital Region business community.
Develop Your Business Plan with Valuable Insight from Successful Entrepreneurs and Advisors
SUNY Schenectady and the Capital Region Chamber of Commerce have a unique partnership in place for students enrolled in the Business Administration A.A.S. or Entrepreneurship Certificate programs to take the Chamber’s Entrepreneur Boot Camp class for three college credits. The course is listed as BUS 252 – Business Plan Development in the SUNY Schenectady catalog.
This award-winning program guides would-be entrepreneurs and existing businesses through the step-by-step process of starting, operating, and managing a business. Participants develop a complete business plan and present the plan to a panel of judges at the end of the course. Throughout the course, students work closely with other entrepreneurs and expand their professional network.
Boot Camp Course Highlights
- More than 50 instructors per course including business experts, small business owners, college professors, state regulatory agency representatives, media spokespeople and more.
- In-house library – available only to Boot Camp participants – is filled with business plans written by prior graduates of the program in industries including architecture, construction, hospitality, day care, transportation, entertainment, clothing, art, landscaping, physical therapy, occupational therapy, information technology, real estate and more.
- Prior graduates and instructors available to act as a board of advisors for our growing businesses.
- Strong partnerships with local colleges, lending institutions, the NYS Self-Employment Assistance Program, The Legal Project, the Women’s Employment & Resource Center, Cornell Cooperative Extension, Empire Justice Center, Minority and Women Business Enterprise organizations, veterans’ organizations and many other resources.
- Technical Assistance component gives a minimum of 10 free hours of consulting and business coaching to every participant in the course.
- Loan officer on site who can discuss financing options for your business.
- Participants receive a NxLevel textbook of materials which are used in the course and serve as a valuable resource when growing a business. NxLevel is recognized as the nation’s largest and most effective entrepreneurial training network.
The class meets off-campus two nights per week over 12 weeks at the Chamber’s location at Five Computer Drive South in Colonie (just off of Wolf Road). All classes are typically held on Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:30 - 9:00 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
Approval by the Division of Business, Criminal Justice and Law and the Capital Region Chamber of Commerce is required to enroll in this course.
Sales Skills Matter – to Everyone
SUNY Schenectady County Community College and Winning Process, LLC dba Sandler Training of the Greater Capital Region of NY have joined forces to bring professional sales training to the College’s business students. Sandler Training is one of the leading sales training and leadership development companies in the world. Their innovative training programs have been developed, tested, and proven effective for over 50 years by professionals around the world in every industry. The Sandler Selling System and reinforcement training process have made Sandler synonymous with sales success.
Under the partnership, the 3-credit Sales and Service course (MGT 215) is offered by SUNY Schenectady and taught by a certified professional trainer from Sandler Training, with oversight by a full-time faculty member in the College’s Business program. This unique opportunity is available for matriculated students in the Business Administration A.A.S. and Entrepreneurship Certificate programs.
Some of the topics covered in the course include:
- Establishing rapport with prospects
- Uncovering the prospect’s need, budget, and decision-making process
- Making effective presentations
- Improving your attitude, behavior, and technique
- Creating an effective prospecting plan
Students are trained in a setting off-campus where they will be in direct contact with other selling professionals. Classes are held at 13 Columbia Circle, Suite 104, Albany, NY 12203 on Thursdays from 2:45-4:45 p.m.
Approval by the Division of Business, Criminal Justice and Law and Sandler Training is required to enroll in this course.
“We are looking forward to preparing these young men and women to walk out of SUNY Schenectady with a skill set to make an immediate impact,” said Matt Scarchilli, owner of Winning Process, LLC, dba Sandler Training of the Greater Capital District of NY. “We are all in sales, whether we are selling our idea to internal customers or external customers. The Sandler Selling System puts a process and system into place to help people be more successful.”
Need More Reasons to Pick SUNY Schenectady? How About...
Affordability – At $4,608 per year (New York state residents who show a certificate of residence), SUNY Schenectady is the most affordable college in the Capital Region, and a great place to start your four-year degree. Our transfer degree programs allow students to complete their first two years toward a bachelor’s degree, saving students up to $30,000 in college costs.
Excellent Faculty – When we ask students what makes their SUNY Schenectady experience special, most often we hear, “I love my professors!” Our faculty enthusiastically share their expertise with students, from the essentials students need to know, to the latest trends. Our students also appreciate that faculty are approachable and answer their questions. Our professors are truly dedicated to the success of their students and it shows every day in their classes.
A Close-Knit Community and Great Resources – Our average class size is 20. This means that students are able to engage with faculty and other students in their classes and to feel empowered as they grow during their college experience. Outside of the classroom, we offer free tutoring, computer labs, a Learning/Writing Center, free ridership on CDTA buses, Math Lab, Accounting Lab, TRIO Student Support Services, Educational Opportunity Program, ADA Transitions Services, and a Veterans Affairs Office, among others - important resources to help our students succeed.
An Enriching Experience – In addition to an excellent academic experience, SUNY Schenectady also offers athletics with Men’s Baseball, Women’s and Men’s Bowling (Region III Champs and NJCAA Women’s Bowling Champs), Men’s and Women’s Basketball and Women’s Crew (one of only two community colleges in the country to offer Women’s Crew); free membership to the YMCA for students who have paid the student activity fee; and 30 student clubs and organizations, a great way to connect with other students and have some fun!