Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content

Certificate of Residence

Students registering for credit courses at SUNY Schenectady are required to obtain a Certificate of Residence from their county of residence to receive the in-state tuition rate. Certificates must be received in your first enrolled semester. Certificates can be obtained two months prior to the student’s registration date (not the start of classes) and 30 days after the start of classes.

Residents of Schenectady County

If you live in Schenectady County, please complete the form contained in this link and bring it to the SUNY Schenectady Student Business Office, Elston Hall, Welcome Center with back up documentation for approval - Affirmation of Schenectady County Residence.

Other New York State County Residents

If you live in any other county in New York State, please complete the form contained in this link: Application for Other NYS Counties Form B-80,  and submit to your County Treasurer’s Office:

All completed Certificates of Residency must be submitted to the SUNY Schenectady Student Business Office, Elston Hall, Welcome Center

The Certificate of Residence is good for three semesters, unless otherwise noted by the County where you reside.  

New York State residents who have lived in more than one county during the past six months must complete Form B-80 for each county in which they have resided.

Appeal Information

If a SUNY community college student is denied a certificate of residence from their home county, such student may appeal to SUNY System Administration for reversal. Such appeal communication should contain the student’s contact information and details about the denial from the county. Please note that denials can only be reversed if either the county or the college made an error or did not follow relevant legal requirements. Students can submit appeals by email to or by physical mail to Johanna Duncan-Poitier, Senior Vice Chancellor for Community Colleges and the Education Pipeline, SUNY H. Carl McCall Building, 353 Broadway, Albany, NY 12246.

Non-residents of New York State

Non-residents of New York State are charged out-of-state tuition and do not need to submit proof of residence at registration. All foreign students not on permanent visas are classified as out-of-state residents and pay out-of-state tuition.


If you are a Veteran attending SUNY Schenectady in accordance with the federal GI Bill® and in compliance with all applicable eligibility requirements thereof and you are not eligible to obtain a Certificate of Residence, you should contact the Student Business Office to have the non-resident tuition charge removed from your account.