Biological Technician A.A.S.
The Biological Technician program is designed to meet the rapidly growing need for trained personnel in biotechnology and related fields. The Biological Technician program provides the education and laboratory training necessary in specific areas such as biology, chemistry, microbiology, cell biology, and genetics. Graduates will be qualified for entry-level employment as lab assistants, research assistants, and technicians in the biotechnology, medical, pharmaceutical, food, and agricultural industries.
The program prepares graduates to:
Goal I: Demonstrate competency in the fundamental protocols used in biological laboratories.
- Exhibit proficiency in fundamental laboratory skills and methods, including collecting, testing and examining specimens, used in biological labs
- Demonstrate proficiency in the execution of experimental approaches, protocols and tools for scientific research
Goal II: Prepare graduates for employment as biological technicians.
- Set up, adjust, calibrate, clean, maintain and troubleshoot laboratory and/or field equipment
- Maintain, prepare, and clean supplies and work areas
- Demonstrate the ability to be an effective member of an interdisciplinary scientific team
Goal III: Demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills.
- Explain basic laboratory processes
- Maintain accurate records of laboratory methods and findings in laboratory reports and notebooks
- Communicate technical information and experimental findings in oral presentations