Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content

Student Employment Options

Students provide an important service to the College and the students who attend as well as our community partners. From office support to laboratory set-up, dining services to tutoring, and note taking to childcare, students make a huge impact on the services provided by the College. These positions are not only convenient, but provide an additional means to developing strong relationships with faculty and staff who can be an important part of your career development.

If you're interested in supporting the services provided on-campus and in our community partner organizations, speak with a representative within the Career Office in Elston Hall, Room 222, or by contacting our office at 518-836-2807.

Federal Work Study Eligibility

Most students who work on-campus indicated interest in being considered for Federal Work Study (FWS) funding on their financial aid application (FAFSA). In order to work under Federal Work-Study at Schenectady County Community College, students must:

  • Show demonstrated financial need;
  • Be admitted to Schenectady County Community College in a degree-granting program;
  • Be registered for the current semester at Schenectady County Community College for at least half-time enrollment (6 credit-hours);
  • Have current- semester instructional and general fees paid before beginning to work;
  • Be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens;
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress according to the standards and practices of Schenectady County Community College;
  • Not be in default on Perkins Loans or on any loans made, insured, or guaranteed under the Stafford Loan Program, the PLUS/SLS Program, or the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Programs;
  • Not owe refunds on any federal funds previously received at any institution;
  • Have a valid Social Security Number;
  • Be registered with the Selective Service, if required.

To determine eligibility, students must meet with the Federal Work Study Program Coordinator in Career Services. If eligible, student will receive an authorization form indicating the number of hours and funding they have available.

This eligibility is not a guarantee of employment and students are encouraged to apply early to have the best chance to interview and be hired. Work assignments are primarily located in campus offices, the library, classroom laboratories, and at a few local community service agencies.

How to Apply for Federal Work Study Positions

To access information on FWS jobs, as well as other employment opportunities throughout the capital region, register online with the Career Services Office using College Central Network. Go to: and register as a student using your student ID number. This will provide you with an account to access jobs, post your resume, and complete an online FWS application to use when applying for FWS or other types of jobs.

  1.  Log into or register in
  2. Click on “My school’s jobs”
  3. Use the search by job type function to search “Work study”
  4. Click on the job title to find out more and get application instructions.

Once staff review your application, they will contact candidates they wish to interview. If you do not receive a call or email two weeks after application, you may wish to contact the offices you're interested in to check the status of their interview process and to understand if you're being considered. Work closely with staff in the Career Services Office to expand your job search and be prepared to present yourself appropriately during the job search and interview process.

NOTE: Students must visit the Career Services Office (Elston Hall, 222) in person to complete all hire paperwork including an I-9 form, which proves employment eligibility. This requires two forms of ID (See approved documents) and must be completed before you begin working.

IMPORTANT NOTICE for those receiving Unemployment Insurance Benefits: The NYS Unemployment Insurance Benefits Division (UIB) considers Federal Work Study (FWS) to be a job and it counts as the student working. If a student on UIB receives FWS wages they must report it as working and their UIB benefits will be reduced accordingly. Please contact your UIB representative to ask specific questions regarding any possible changes to your unemployment benefits if you decide to accept FWS employment.


The Office of Career Services makes no representations or guarantees about positions listed on its website and is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions or other aspects of employment. It is the student/alum’s responsibility for all necessary precautions when interviewing for or accepting positions and he/she is solely responsible for obtaining necessary information concerning the employer. The Office of Career Services abides by the principles set forth by NACE and expects employers who use its services to adhere to EEO guidelines and offer employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or citizenship unless legally required and provide equal opportunity to veterans of the Vietnam era. The Career Services office's website also contains links to other websites as a convenience for its users and is not responsible for the contents of any linked site. Anyone who discovers misuse or abuse of our website is encouraged to report the matter to our office.