Congratulations on your acceptance to SUNY Schenectady! We are excited to have you start your journey with us, but first, you may need to take a placement exam before you can register for classes.
I’ve been accepted! What do I do next?
The safety of our students and College community remains our top priority. As a precaution, due to COVID-19, the College has moved to virtual solutions to limit the amount of traffic on campus.
Take the Placement Exam at Home!
Take the Placement Exam, meet with your Advisor and register for classes all from the comfort of home.
Contact the Testing Center to get your Voucher Number and Directions TODAY!
Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Email us at email@example.com or call 518-406-0839 (We are using an app for calls; so you will most likely be asked to leave a voicemail. We will get back to you as soon as possible!)
Why do I need to take a placement exam?
- Your transcripts show that you need to take the exam to find out which classes are right for you.
- For more details on what qualifies someone to take the exam, please read: Who is exempt from the placement test?
- The placement test decides which level English course you need.
- You can’t register for classes until you take the placement exam.
What is the test like?
- There is an English section with two parts.
- It’s a computerized, multiple choice exam.
- It’s not timed and not pass/fail, but it does determine which English courses you’ll take, so take your time.
Can I study for the placement exam?
- Sample questions can be viewed by clicking these document links: Writing, Reading. The answer keys and explanations are at the end of each document so you can check your responses
- You can also download a free study app if you prefer to review that way. For desktop or mobile users, please download the app, create an account, and get started!
What do I do if I have a disability and need accommodations for testing?
Please contact the Office of ADA Transition Services to set-up an appointment with Susanna Adams, Coordinator of ADA Transition Services. You will need to register your accommodations with SUNY Schenectady before you are able to take your placement exam if you’d like to use your accommodations for the test.
ADA Transition Services
Elston Hall, Room 222H