Direct Support Professional certificate
The purpose of this certification to help individuals acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to enter the workforce as direct support professionals. Direct-care workers provide an estimated 70 to 80 percent of the paid hands-on long-term care and personal assistance received by Americans who are elderly or living with disabilities or other chronic conditions.
The certificate prepares graduates to:
Goal I: Demonstrate professional skills and abilities
- Analyze the impact of social policies on individuals and systems;
- Apply major social work theories.
Goal II: Demonstrate professional communication skills
- Communicate effectively in oral and written form within professional environments.
Goal III: Identify and apply cultural competencies
- Identify cultural barriers to societal integration;
- Apply appropriate strategies in working with culturally diverse populations.
See the degree requirements and suggested course sequence.Degree Plan