TRIO is a federally funded grant program* at SUNY Schenectady that works with eligible students in a variety of ways including: navigating the college experience, academic success strategies, career and transfer exploration, financial literacy programming, and much more.
Our TRIO staff offers all students an intake appointment to find out about their academic, financial aid, career and personal needs. We work with students regularly throughout each semester to help achieve their goals for academic success.
Because this program is federally funded, all students must meet eligibility criteria and complete an application form. This program is free to students and voluntary to join. All information supplied has to be verified before students are notified of their acceptance into the program.
Applications for TRIO can be downloaded, obtained in Elston Hall 328, or by telephone at 518-381-1463.
Who is Eligible for the Program?
Students who are:
- Accepted into SUNY Schenectady and currently enrolled for courses or enrolled for the next semester
- Have not earned a Bachelor's college degree
- Be enrolled in at least 6 credits per semester
- Be a US citizen or eligible for federal student financial aid
- AND meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Are first generation college students (meaning neither one of their parents or the custodial parent in a single-parent family has earned a Bachelor’s degree by age 18)
- Are income qualified (based on federal guidelines of family size versus taxable income - TRIO staff will help you determine this)
- Have a documented disability and are registered with ADA Transition Services on campus
- Academic coaching and course planning
- Grant Aid (for selected students)
- Assessment of study and learning skills
- Basic computer skills guidance
- Workshops and seminars
- Financial literacy programming
- Assistance with FAFSA
- Help finding scholarships
- Self-advocacy programming
- Leadership opportunities
- Computer lab with FREE printing capabilities
- Fun, inclusive environment
- Career exploration
- Transfer counseling
- AND MUCH MORE!
TRIO Academic Specialist
TRIO Academic Specialist
SUNY Schenectady TRIO Facts
- TRIO is a federally funded grant through the US Department of Education
- TRIO SSS was established in 1968 by the Higher Education Act of 1965
- The letters in TRIO do not actually stand for anything: It represented the three original programs authorized by the federal government
- The TRIO program is allowed to serve 175 students per academic year
- The program has been on campus for over 20 years
A Few Things to Know About Being in TRIO
- It’s a voluntary program
- It’s free to be a part of the program
* TRIO is a federally funded, five year grant program through the U.S. Department of Education at SUNY Schenectady with an annual budget of $281,511 that works with 175 eligible students.