Three Ginger Spice Cake
Adapted from David Lebovitz
Yield: 1, 9 inch cake; 8 portions
3-oz. fresh ginger, peeled & grated or finely chopped in the food processor
10 ½ oz. molasses
7 ½ oz. sugar
8 oz. vegetable oil
11 ½ oz. AP flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. black pepper
8 oz. boiling water
2 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs, room temp
1 oz. candied ginger; finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and parchment line a 9 X 2 inch round cake pan.
- Finely grate or food process your peeled ginger, set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the oil, molasses & sugar. In a separate medium bowl,
whisk the flour, cinnamon, cloves, ground ginger and pepper.
- Chop the candied ginger and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan bring water to boil, stir in baking soda. Whisk the hot water mixture into the molasses mixture; add the chopped or grated fresh ginger.
- Gradually sift the flour mixture into the molasses mixture, combine. Add the 2 eggs, thoroughly blend. Fold in the candied ginger. Pour into prepared pan. Bake until cake tests done.