Sausage and Prosciutto Stuffed Ravioli with Pesto
Servings: 24, 5 raviolis per serving
cheese filling - recipe below
Pesto - recipe below
Basil leaves, fresh to garnish
- Roll out pasta dough into thin sheets about 5 inches wide by 12 inches long.
- Put filling in a pastry bag and pipe out onto the pasta dough. Space so that each sheet yields 5 raviolis. Egg wash the perimeter and between each ravioli. Fold the bottom half over the top half. With your fingers press between each ravioli to seal and remove air. Cut out each ravioli with a 2-inch ring mold.
- Blanch raviolis in salted, boiling water for about 4-5 minutes, until pasta is al dente. If holding for later service, shock and refrigerate.
- To serve, re-blanch raviolis, saute in a little olive oil and place on a warmed serving plate with a little pesto sauce underneath. Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil leaves.
- Plate raviolis and dress with just enough sauce to moisten them. Garnish with Parmigiano and chiffonade of fresh basil leaves. Serve immediately.
Basil leaves - 4 oz
Garlic - 6 cloves
Pine nuts - 1/4 cup
Parmesan Cheese - 1 cup, grated
Olive oil - 3/4 cup
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the basil, garlic, pine nuts, cheese, and 3 tablespoons of the oil in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- With the blades running, work in the remaining oil, adding it very slowly so the sauce emulsifies and thickens. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Let come to room temperature and whisk well before serving.
Sausage and Cheese Filling for Raviolis Ingredients
Sweet Italian sausage - 1 lb. cooked, chopped
ricotta cheese - 2 lb.
feta cheese - 1 lb. drained
mascarpone cheese - 1 lb.
Parmigiano Reggiano - 2 cups grated
eggs - 2, beaten
black pepper - to taste
freshly ground Italian parsley, to taste
- Cook and chop the sweet Italian sausage.
- Place the feta in a food processor and pulse until cheese is finely crumbled. Add the ricotta, mascarpone, Parmigiano, sausage and blend until smooth and fully incorporated.
- Add the beaten eggs. Season with the salt and pepper.