Lobster Meat - 1, peel, seed, fine chop
Tarragon Mayonnaise - recipe follows
Scallions - 3, thinly sliced
Kosher or sea salt - to taste
Black pepper - to taste, freshly ground if available
- If using live lobsters, steam or boil them. Let cool at room temperature. Use a cleaver to crack and remove the meat from the claws, knuckles and tails. Remove the cartilage from the claws, and the intestine from the tails of the cooked meat.
- Cut the meat into ½ inch dice. You may pick all the meat from the carcass and add it to the meat or freeze the carcass for soup or broth.
- Place the cucumber in a colander for at least 5 minutes to drain the excess liquid.
- Combine the lobster, cucumber and tarragon mayonnaise. If the salad is to be served within in the hour, add the scallions. If not, add them 30 min before serving. Season with salt if needed and pepper.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 min before serving.
Egg yolk - 1
Dijon mustard - 1 Tbsp
Tarragon - 2 tsp, fresh, chopped
Salad oil - 1 cup
Lemon juice - 1 oz, juice from ½ a lemon
Ice water - 1 Tbsp
Kosher or sea salt - to taste, as needed
Black pepper - to taste, as needed
Cayenne pepper or Tabasco - to taste, as needed
- Place the egg yolk, mustard and tarragon in the bowl of a food processor. Put the lid on and pulse for a few seconds to blend the ingredients.
- With the machine on, add half the oil by pouring it in at a slow by steady pace. Alternate the last half of the oil with the lemon juice until both are fully incorporated.
- Add the ice water and pulse for a few seconds. Season to taste with salt, pepper and cayenne. Pulse. Store in a small container, covered and refrigerated until needed.
- Makes 1 cup.
Hot dog buns - 8
Butter - 8 Tbsp
- Prepare the lobster salad and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat a large heavy skillet over medium low heat.
- Lightly butter both sides of each bun. Place in the pan and cook for about 2 minutes until golden brown. Turn the buns over and toast the other side.
- Stuff with lobster salad.