Butternut Squash Soup
|Chicken stock||2 cups|
|Apple cider||3/4 cup|
|Light sour cream||1/4 cup|
|Cranberry catsup||Recipe follows|
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, sauté shallots and garlic in a little water, being careful not to burn.
- Add squash and chicken stock and cook until soft enough to blend. Pour into blender container and blend until smooth.
- Add cider and sour cream and continue to process until well mixed.
- Divide soup among 4 soup plates. With a squirt bottle filled with cranberry catsup, apply 8 dots of catsup in a circular pattern approximately 1 inch from the brim of the soup plate. With a toothpick, pull the dots to make a circular pattern of hearts in the soup.
|Cranberries, fresh||1 cup|
|Onion, minced||1/4 cup|
|Apple juice concentrate||3 Tbsp, thawed|
|Distilled white vinegar||1/4 cup|
|Ground cloves||1/4 tsp|
|Ground cinnamon||1/4 tsp|
|Ground allspice||1/4 tsp|
|White pepper||1/4 tsp|
- Combine cranberries, onions and water in a small pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer. Cook until tender, stirring frequently.
- Pour into food processor bowl fitted with a steel knife and process until smooth.
- Return to saucepan, add remaining ingredients, and cook until slightly thickened. Put into covered container and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Makes 1 cup.