TRIO Student Support Services at SUNY Schenectady is a FREE service that empowers first-generation college students, income-eligible students, and students with disabilities to explore and achieve their academic, career, financial, and personal goals. TRIO staff use a variety of resources, support, advocacy, leadership services and programming to guide students in successfully navigating their college experience. Think of TRIO as your college success GPS to ensure you arrive at your educational destination.
Our TRIO program offers individual meetings with TRIO staff, workshops, information sessions and a community which strives to connect with you regularly throughout each semester to help achieve your goals for academic success.
Applications for TRIO can be downloaded, obtained in Elston Hall 328, or by telephone at 518-381-1463.
Who is Eligible for the Program?
Students who are:
- Accepted into SUNY Schenectady and currently enrolled for courses or enrolled for the next semester
- Have not earned a Bachelor's college degree
- Be enrolled in at least 6 credits per semester
- Be a US citizen or eligible for federal student financial aid
- AND meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Are first generation college students (meaning neither one of their parents or the custodial parent in a single-parent family has earned a Bachelor’s degree by age 18)
- Are income qualified (based on federal guidelines of family size versus taxable income - TRIO staff will help you determine this)
- Have a documented disability and are registered with ADA Transition Services on campus
- Academic coaching and course planning
- Grant Aid (for selected students)
- Assessment of study and learning skills
- Basic computer skills guidance
- Workshops and seminars
- Financial literacy programming
- Assistance with FAFSA
- Help finding scholarships
- Self-advocacy programming
- Leadership opportunities
- Computer lab with FREE printing capabilities
- Fun, inclusive environment
- Career exploration
- Transfer counseling
- AND MUCH MORE!
TRIO Academic Specialist
TRIO Academic Specialist
SUNY Schenectady TRIO Facts
- TRIO is a federally funded grant through the US Department of Education
- TRIO SSS was established in 1968 by the Higher Education Act of 1965
- The letters in TRIO do not actually stand for anything: It represented the three original programs authorized by the federal government
- The TRIO program is allowed to serve 175 students per academic year
- The program has been on campus for over 20 years
A Few Things to Know About Being in TRIO
- It’s a voluntary program
- It’s free to be a part of the program
* TRIO is a federally funded, five year grant program through the U.S. Department of Education at SUNY Schenectady, with an annual budget of $335,111 that works with 175 eligible students.