The SUNY Schenectady Foundation Scholarship Program
Important Information About 2020-2021 Scholarships
As part of our commitment to student access and success, the SUNY Schenectady Foundation offers scholarships to students currently or soon to be enrolled at SUNY Schenectady. Scholarships are available to prospective and current students, awarded based on an online application and essay.
Read the application guide. (PDF)
Returning students: The application period for the 2020-2021 academic year opened on January 27, 2020 and has been extended to April 15, 2020.
New students: The application period for the 2020-2021 academic year opened on January 27, 2020 and closes on May 31, 2020.
- All scholarship applicants must have completed the 2020-2021 FAFSA at their time of application. More information can be found by visiting the website of our Office of Financial Aid.
- Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.5 to qualify for most scholarships.
- All scholarship applicants must be registered for the Fall 2020 semester by April 30 to receive scholarship funds on their student accounts.
- All scholarship recipients must submit a letter of appreciation to their scholarship donors by June 30, 2020 to receive scholarship funds on their student accounts.
- All scholarship recipients must attend the scholarship ceremony held in August 2020 (date to be determined). Please plan to save the date on your calendar when it is announced, and request time off from work.
Tips For Your Essay
In your scholarship application, you will write an essay response to allow the review committee to get to know you. If you thoroughly address the points below, you will have the best chance at earning a scholarship.
- What has your journey to SUNY Schenectady been like?
- Did you come here straight from high school, or are you returning to education after a time of absence?
- Have you faced/overcome any obstacles to pursue your education here?
- Have you faced any financial obstacles?
- Describe your goals as a student at SUNY Schenectady.
- How do you plan to use your degree?
- How will a scholarship help you reach those goals?
A thorough essay response will typically be about 500 words. Depending on your answers, you may write more or less than that.
If you have any questions, please contact Evelyn Maclutsky at email@example.com or 518-381-1355.