The A.A.S. Degree Program in Craft Beer Brewing prepares students
for direct employment in the craft beer brewing industry. Students
gain theoretical and hands-on experience related to the craft beer
brewing industry, qualifying them to assume a variety of roles in the
craft beer brewing profession. The program prepares graduates to:
Goal I: Develop competencies required in the craft beer brewing
- Apply common terminology used in the industry
- Apply the steps/processes of each area of a brewery
including manufacturing, warehousing, marketing
- Demonstrate ability to utilize industry processes
and equipment for production
- Demonstrate the understanding of historical and
emerging industry trends
Goal II: Utilize technology to develop effective communication and
professional presentation skills.
- Develop effective written communication skills
- Demonstrate ability to operate beer brewing
- Identify various sales and marketing plans utilized
in craft beer brewing
Goal III: Explore options for further education and/or employment.
- Identify various continuing education opportunities
- Research career opportunities through an internship
- Create personal and professional goals and link to
“The craft beverage industry has gained national attention for creating a large workforce need in several areas to support continued growth. The State of New York has increased funding in several areas that are directly impacted by craft beverage including agriculture, hospitality and tourism, and production. With that funding comes an increased need for capable employees to support the ever growing renown of New York State products."
"SUNY Schenectady's Craft Brewing Certificate and Associates Degree are both poised to provide any segment of the industry with highly trained candidates with hands on knowledge. These students will be well versed in the history, trends and development of the highest quality products to set New York State beverages apart from all others.”
- Jay Larkin, Assistant Professor
Jay Larkin holds an A.A.S. in Hotel and Restaurant Management from Schenectady County Community College and a B.S. in Restaurant, Hotel, Institutional, and Tourism Management from Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN. He is a HCI TIPS Certified Instructor and the lead instructor for the Craft Beer Brewing programs.