1:1 Tutor Services
Tutor Services Offers the Following
- One-on-One weekly tutoring sessions in many courses using Upswing, a scheduling software, for both in-person and online tutoring
- Free tutoring to all registered students, whether full or part-time, day or evening students
- Peer (student) tutors who are faculty approved and trained by the Academic Services staff
- Professional Tutors, individuals who have completed their course of study and are considered experts in their respective fields
- Computers for sessions involving online classes or assignments
Note: students seeking walk-in tutoring without prior appointment can visit the Learning Center, Math Lab, or the Accounting & CIS Labs.
Information for how to sign up for tutoring can be found below or downloaded here (PDF), and is available in Tutor Service, Elston Hall, Room 522.
SUNY Schenectady's Tutor Scheduling Software
Please note: You are allowed up to 3 hours of 1:1 tutoring per week, in person or online Monday – Sunday
Set up a virtual session in just a few easy steps:
- Go to: https://sunysccc.upswing.io
- Log in with your MYSCCC login information (Your portal information)
- Click on “Meet with a Tutor”
- Search the course you want a tutor for (ex: MAT 085 or College Algebra, etc.)
- Click on a tutor's name (SUNY SCCC Tutors will appear first, then Upswing Tutors)
- Find a date/time that works for you and click “Select a Time” and verify information:
- Date, Time, Duration (Select 30 or 60 minutes)
- Note Location: “Virtual Tutoring Center” is an online session
In-person tutors may not be available at this time
- Upload any files/documents in advance so your tutor can view ahead of time
- Click "Schedule"
- The tutor will receive the request and will respond with an “accept” or “decline.” You will receive a confirmation email to your SUNY account or a text message if you’ve set that up.
- Once the session is confirmed, simply attend the session by visiting your “Upcoming sessions” during the scheduled date/time. Be sure to set up text alerts to get a session reminder!
- Don’t forget to prep for your session. Have questions, your text book, notes, or the assignment you need assistance with ready to go. You are able to upload your documents and share your computer screen with the tutor!
- If you need general writing help for any course, search and select “Writing Center” when looking for courses/tutors.
- If you want to receive text alerts and reminders about your appointments, be sure to update your "Text Notifications" in your account settings!
- To make reoccurring weekly appointments, repeat steps 4-7 for each week you'd like to meet with a tutor. Book early to ensure your spot.
- Watch these helpful “How To” videos for more assistance with making appointments, how to access an online session, and what a virtual session with an online tutor looks like!
* Once you have scheduled on online/virtual Upswing session, visit your "Upcoming Sessions" section located in the "Tutoring" sidebar and click on the green "Go To Room" button to attend the session.
Please contact Academic Services with any questions or problems:
Please note that by using the Upswing system you are agreeing to the terms found here:
1:1 Tutoring Contract (PDF)
- You are allowed up to 3 hours of 1:1 tutoring per week, Monday – Sunday. This includes online and in-person sessions. Exceptions are made for TRIO students; please see the Tutor Coordinators or Director for details.
- Once you hit your 3 hour limit, you will be restricted from making any new appointments until the start of the new week.
- You may risk having your Upswing account disabled if you fail to cancel appointments within 24 hours or fail show to your scheduled appointments; you will receive a warning email in advance if this will happen.
- If your Upswing account is disabled due to last minute cancellations or failing to show to your scheduled appointments, all upcoming scheduled appointments will be cancelled. You may re-schedule more appointments once your account is reactivated.
- If you need more than 3 hours of tutoring each week, please visit the walk-in learning labs to receive additional support.