The purpose of Tutor Services at SUNY Schenectady is two-fold:
- To support and assist those students who require academic assistance so that they may successfully complete their educational goals;
- To provide meaningful employment in peer tutoring for successful and accomplished students.
Tutor Services provides weekly tutoring sessions in many courses using Upswing, a scheduling software, for both in-person and online tutoring.
This service is provided free to all registered students, whether full- or part-time, day or evening students. Peer (student) tutors are faculty approved and trained by the Academic Services staff. Well-trained peer tutors serve a vital role in helping fellow students reach their academic goals.
Tutor Services also provides Professional Tutors, individuals who have completed their course of study and are considered expert in their respective fields.
Note: students seeking walk-in tutoring without prior appointment can visit the Math Lab or the Accounting and CIS Labs. Walk-in tutoring in many other subjects is available at the Learning Center/Writing Lab.
Information for how to sign up for tutoring can be found below or downloaded here, and is available in Tutor Service, Elston Hall, Room 522.
Welcome to SUNY Schenectady's Tutor Scheduling Software!
WELCOME TO UPSWING!
SUNY Schenectady’s new software to find a one-to-one tutor.
Please note: You are allowed one hour per week, per course, for up to 3 courses.
Set up a session in just a few easy steps:
- Go to: https://sunysccc.upswing.io
- Log in with your MYSCCC login information (Your portal information)
- Click on “Meet with a Tutor”
- Search the course you want a tutor for (ex: MAT 085 or College Algebra, etc.)
- Click on a tutor's name *Select an UPSWING tutor for online-only (virtual) tutoring
- Find a date/time that works for you and click “Select a Time” and verify information:
Select a Date, Time, Duration (Select 60 minutes)
Note Location: In-person tutors will meet in Elston Hall, Room 522, Elston Hall, Room 330, or the Music Building; “Virtual Learning” is online tutoring
- Click "Schedule" *In person appointments should be made with 72 hours notice
- The tutor will receive the request and will respond with an “accept” or “decline.” You will receive a confirmation email (sent to your SUNY Schenectady email address).
- Once the session is confirmed, simply attend the session (in-person or online) during the scheduled date/time.
- Don’t forget to prep for your session! Have questions, your text book, notes, or the assignment you need assistance with ready to go.
If you want to receive text alerts and reminders about your appointments, be sure to update your "Text Notifications" in your account settings!
To make reoccurring weekly appointments, repeat steps 4-7 for each week you'd like to meet with a tutor. Book early to ensure your spot.
Please contact Tutor Services with any questions or problems:
Elston Hall, Room 522
Please note that by using the Upswing system you are agreeing to the terms found here:
1:1 Tutoring Contract
Are you Interested in being a Peer Tutor?
- Excel in certain subject areas?
- Want to help fellow classmates?
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher?
- Have at least two completed semesters at SUNY Schenectady?
- Want to make some extra cash between classes?
If you’ve answered YES to all of these questions, then we want you! Just complete the Peer Tutor Application
and e-mail it to the Director of Academic Services, Michelle Ragucci: RaguccML@sunysccc.edu
OR drop off your application in person to the Learning Center, Elston 523.
Each subject or course you’d like to tutor requires a recommendation from a professor, so be sure to contact your current or former instructor(s) and attach each recommendation to the application or include in your e-mail correspondence.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Michelle Ragucci, Director of Academic Services at 518-381-1249 or RaguccML@sunysccc.edu.