Learning Center Fall 2019 Hours
September 9 - December 20, 2019
Monday – Thursday, 8:30 a.m.-7:00 p.m.
Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Saturday, 10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
*For Math Lab and Accounting/CIS Lab hours, please click on menu links to the left
Much as a recording studio or a dance studio serves as a work and/or practice space for performing artists, the Learning Center/Writing Lab serves as a studio space for students to develop academic work. In addition to study and computer areas, the Learning Center in 523 Elston Hall provides academic assistance to students who need extra help with reading, study skills, and walk-in tutoring in a limited number of subjects. Assistance is available through individualized sessions by professional and peer tutors, computer assisted instruction, study groups in content areas, and workshops. The Writing Lab, also in Elston 523, offers consultations on written assignments including research papers. For further information, contact Michelle Ragucci, Director of Academic Services, at (518) 381-1249, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Computers are available for word processing and using educational software such as Pearson’s MyLabs. Adaptive computer technology (such as the Kurzweil 3000) is available for students with disabilities.
Students can receive assistance on a walk-in basis or by appointment for half-hour sessions. Areas where students may receive help include the following:
Reading and Study Skills Assistance
- time management
- textbook reading
- study skills such as note-taking and test-taking strategies
- college survival skills
The Writing Lab works with writers at all levels of experience: freshmen, ESL, and honors students as well. This lab is not a “remedial center,” but a space for all SUNY Schenectady students, regardless of experience or ability. We help students become better writers in the following ways:
- Analyzing assignment requirements
- Providing feedback at all stages of the writing process: narrowing a topic, generating ideas, constructing a thesis statement, organizing ideas, revising, and preparing a final draft
- Establishing a dialogue about drafts and discussing strategies for improvement
- Addressing and developing strategies for grammatical and punctuation issues within context of the writing itself
- Encouraging students to develop self-editing and proofreading skills
- Providing resources to improve writing skills
- Advising students on research papers and MLA and APA documentation
The Writing Lab does NOT proofread or line edit papers for students, nor does it grade assignments or discuss grades.
The Writing Lab offers individual tutorials on PowerPoint and Prezi and consultations on design in these formats.
Frequently Asked Questions About Writing Appointments
English Language Learners
- improving the communication skills of ELL students
Learning Center Tutoring
- workshops covering topics such as note taking, math anxiety, textbook reading, and test strategies
- workshop schedule