Employee Relief Fund
The SUNY Schenectady Foundation has established a new fund to help all part-time and full-time employees experiencing financial hardship – the Employee Relief Fund.
The Employee Relief Fund will initially be seeded with $5,000 from the Foundation, supplemented by additional Employee Campaign donations. Funds will be distributed to employees who meet the program criteria and who have qualified expenses. The Office of Human Resources acts as the Administrator of the Employee Relief Fund.
- Employee reads the Fund Eligibility Guidelines (listed below) to see if their need meets the requirements of the program.
- Employee then completes and submits an Employee Relief Fund Request Form, providing supporting documentation as needed.
- Within two business days of receipt, HR reviews the application to insure that it meets the requirements of the program. HR may request additional supporting documentation.
- Once verified by HR, the Fund application will be forwarded to the President’s Office for approval.
- Within 10 days of the date the application was received, a final determination will be communicated by HR to the applicant and the Foundation.
- Approved funds will be distributed by the Foundation as soon as administratively feasible.
Fund Eligibility Guidelines
Employees seeking relief funds must be experiencing unusual, severe financial strain because of a sudden, unforeseen crisis outside of their control that would result in an inability to attend work or continue with his/her employment.
Examples of qualifying crisis events:
- Fire, flood or natural acts of disaster
- Victim of a crime
- Death in the immediate family
- A medical or dental emergency not covered by medical insurance
- An unanticipated family emergency; e.g., a family member stranded out-of-state due to an event outside of their control
- Domestic emergency, e.g., unanticipated car repairs, spousal/partner abuse, facing eviction from one’s home through no flagrant fault of the employee, temporary emergency housing, emergency child care expenses, funeral or burial expenses, emergency travel and gas
Examples of circumstances that are not eligible for emergency financial assistance:
- Credit card debt
- Elective expenses
- Medical bills covered by medical insurance, legal or professional fees
Application and Review Process
- Complete the Employee Relief Fund Request Form and forward to the Human Resources Office. Incomplete forms are returned.
- Application information is verified with the employee and/or relevant third parties.
- Ineligible requests are returned. Approval of emergency financial assistance is based on a demonstrated, unusual and severe financial strain resulting from an isolated event due to a sudden unforeseen crisis outside the employee’s control.
- Applicants will receive notice of the final determination with ten (10) business days.
- If emergency financial assistance is granted, payment will be made by the Foundation within ten (10) business days of final determination.