Commencement is truly a celebration of the future. The hard work and effort you have demonstrated in order to secure your degree shows a commitment to excellence that will serve you well as you continue to achieve your goals. You can rightfully be proud of your success and accomplishment. We are very proud of you! Congratulations!
First - Apply for Graduation
All Graduation candidates must fill out an APPLICATION FOR GRADUATION and submit it to the Registrar's Office (Room 212). Complete the Application for Graduation here. Graduation applications for May are due Friday, February 10, 2017.
When and Where
Schenectady County Community College's 47th Commencement Ceremony will be held on Thursday, May 18, 2017, at 2 p.m. at Proctors, located in downtown Schenectady.
Graduates should arrive by 1 p.m. and line up outside of the back entrance to Proctors (the entrance closest to the Parking Garage, NOT the State Street entrance). Guests should go directly to the theater to be seated.
Grads, remember to BRING WITH YOU: your cap and gown and your name card.
Immediately following the ceremony, graduates and their families are invited to a reception in the Student Commons in Elston Hall on the SCCC campus.
Important Commencement Reminders
- Order your Cap, Hood and Gown before Monday, March 6, 2017 to avoid a late fee. Candidates wishing to participate in the 2017 Commencement Ceremony must stop by the College Store to complete the Cap, Hood and Gown order form and pay the participation fee of $50 (after March 6 there will be an added late fee of $15). No orders will be accepted after Tuesday, May 2, 2017.
Visit the College Store website for more information. Class rings, personalized announcements and diploma frames can be ordered by visiting the Herff Jones website.
- Pick up your cap and gown, Commencement invitations and tickets between Tuesday, May 2, 2017, and Tuesday, May 16, 2017, in the College Store. Along with your cap and gown, you will receive four Commencement invitations and four tickets. Additional tickets may be available. Check with the College Store on Monday, May 8 (first-come, first-served).
- Note: Special Accommodations Request: Any graduates or guests attending the ceremony seeking accommodations for accessibility (such as wheelchair seating, interpreter services, etc.) are requested to contact the Office of Student Affairs, Elston Hall 222, 381-1344.
- Note: All Delhi students who have met graduation requirements are eligible to attend SUNY SCCC's Commencement Exercises. You should follow this link to order your Delhi regalia and contact Beth Kennedy at email@example.com to acknowledge you are attending and to receive instructions for attending the ceremony.
Attend a Commencement Information Session on:
- Wednesday, May 3 from 12 - 12:50 p.m., Activity Forum, Elston Hall
- Friday, May 5 from 12 - 12:50 p.m., Activity Forum, Elston Hall
- Monday, May 8 from 12 - 12:50 p.m., Activity Forum, Elston Hall
- Tuesday, May 9 from 5 - 6 p.m., Activity Forum, Elston Hall
- Monday, May 15 from 5 - 6 p.m., Activity Forum, Elston Hall
Necessary name cards will be distributed at these sessions.
New York State Lieutenant Governor Kathy Hochul will be the Keynote Speaker at the College’s 47th Commencement. As the highest ranking female elected official in New York State, Lt. Gov. Hochul chairs the Community College Councils and is a champion for women and families across the state. She spearheaded Governor Andrew Cuomo’s “Enough is Enough” campaign, which began in 2015, to combat sexual assault on college campuses.
Parking on the day of Commencement
Parking at the SCCC Campus is recommended (a four-block walk down State Street to Proctors). Parking is also available for free downtown in the Broadway parking garage; however, space is limited. For downtown Schenectady parking alerts and notifications, please register for this service at http://parkschenectady.com/parking-alert-sign-up/.
Tag your pics
We want to see your pics. #SUNYSCCC17 or #SUNYSCCC
Photos from Commencement
A photographer will be on hand to take your Commencement portrait that day and our roving photographer always gets some great candids. Keep an eye on the SUNY SCCC website on our Facebook page and Twitter so you can download the pics.
Picking up your diploma
Graduates can pick up their diploma the week of June 19 in the Registrar's Office, Elston Hall 212. They will need their student ID to pick up their diploma. If someone else is picking it up for them, a written approval is required. All remaining diplomas will be mailed to homes in mid-July.
Need more information?
For any other information regarding Commencement, please contact the Student Affairs Division, Elston Hall, Room 222, (518) 381-1344, or the SCCC College Store, (518) 377-1606.
Now that you're an alum of SCCC...
SCCC wants to stay connected with all of our Alumni! SCCC wants to hear about all of your future successful endeavors. Please keep us informed of significant life and career events! You can connect with the Development Office here and on Facebook. Let us know what's going on!