Grants and Loans

Description of Financial Aid Programs

Excelsior Scholarship

The Excelsior Scholarship is a first of a kind program which will provide tuition-free college at New York’s public colleges and universities (SUNY and CUNY schools) and first became available in the Fall 2017 semester for eligible students. Students must apply for the Excelsior Scholarship by completing an application. The 2018-2019 application is currently available online at The deadline to apply is July 23, 2018. Students must also apply for PELL and TAP; more information on these programs is below.

Federal Pell Grant

Pell grants are Federal financial aid grants that do not have to be repaid by the student. Students must be enrolled in a degree or certificate program either full-time or part-time. The award period covers one academic year, and students must not yet have a Bachelor's degree. Awards are based on family income, assets, size of family, cost of education, etc. Student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for this award. The FAFSA is done online at Click here for complete instructions on how to apply.

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)

EOP stipends are grants, and they do not have to be repaid. Eligible students must be both academically and educationally disadvantaged and they must be qualified for EOP during their first year in college. The amount of the awards are based on need as determined by the Financial Aid Office. Students are eligible for a maximum of six semesters of full-time EOP eligibility at a two-year college.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

FSEOG awards are Federal grants that do not have to be repaid by the student. They are based on need as determined by the Financial Aid Office. First priority in awarding FSEOG grants is given to students who are Pell grant recipients with the smallest estimated family contribution. Funding is limited.

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

TAP is a New York State grant for full-time students who are New York State residents and it does not have to be repaid. Eligibility is based on New York State NET TAXABLE INCOME (after deductions). Students must complete the both the FAFSA and the TAP application in order to apply for this program. For more information on TAP please visit NYS Higher Education Services Corporation - NYS TAP.

Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)

APTS is a New York State grant for part-time students (6-11 credits) which does not have to be repaid. Awards are based on family NET taxable income and are awarded each semester. Students are required to maintain a 2.0 cumulative grade point average. For more information on APTS please visit NYS Higher Education Services Corporation - Aid for Part-Time Study.

Part-Time Scholarship for Community College Students (PTS)

A part time student, enrolled in 6 to 11 academic credits, may be eligible for the New York State Part-Time Scholarship (PTS). To apply for PTS students must first apply for FAFSA. Eligible students must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 and be enrolled at a SUNY or CUNY Community College. Awards are determined by New York State and funds may be limited. Learn more about PTS eligibility criteria. Apply for PTS.

Federal Work Study Program (FWS)

FWS gives eligible students an opportunity to earn additional financial aid. The amount of the award is the maximum amount that may be earned. The expected pay rate is $10.00 per hour. The pay rate is $10.25 per hour for students who had work study the entire prior year. Work assignments are usually 10-15 hours per week. Since funds and job opportunities are limited, receiving a Federal work study award is not a guarantee of a Federal work study job. Students should report to the Career and Employment Services Office during the first two weeks of classes for their job assignments. Learn more about the FWS program.

Federal William D. Ford Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Stafford Loan

An eligible first year dependent undergraduate student (with less than 30 earned or transfer credits) may borrow up to $5,500 per year. An eligible second year student (with at least 30 earned or transfer credits) may borrow up to a maximum of $6,500 per year. Independent students may have up to an additional $4,000 in unsubsidized loans per year. To apply for a Stafford loan a student must complete the FAFSA, complete student loan entrance counseling, and complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN). A student must be enrolled in six credits or more to be eligible for a Federal Student Loan. Entrance counseling and MPNs can be completed online at

Federal William D. Ford Direct Parent PLUS Loan

The Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is available from the federal government to assist parents meet the cost of their child’s education. These loans are made to parents of dependent undergraduate students who are registered at least half time (six credits or more) who are matriculated in a degree or certificate program. Parent must complete a PLUS Loan Request Form and an MPN. For more information on the Parent PLUS Loan please visit

Financial Aid for Study Abroad

Students who choose to study abroad for part of their educational experience at SCCC may be eligible for federal financial aid for attendance at the foreign institution. The study abroad credits may be considered enrollment at SCCC for the purpose of federal financial aid if the courses are satisfying degree requirements. The College must also have a written agreement with the institution offering the study abroad program to insure that it is an eligible program.

A study abroad program is an eligible program if:

  1. A student studying abroad concurrently remains enrolled in an eligible program at SCCC; and
  2. SCCC awards academic credit for courses in the program of study abroad; and
  3. SCCC will accept the courses taken abroad in transfer credit as courses satisfying requirements in the student's degree program that are not already satisfied.