We are proud to announce that as a member institution of SUNY, Schenectady County Community College students will be eligible to apply for the Excelsior Scholarship.
The Excelsior Scholarship is the state aid program approved under Governor Cuomo’s Free-Tuition Plan. Important facts about the Excelsior Scholarship:
- The Excelsior Scholarship is a “last dollar” award. This means that students must first apply for FAFSA and TAP. The Excelsior Scholarship will then cover the remaining balance of tuition for eligible students. Complete instructions on how to apply for FAFSA and TAP please click here: Apply for Aid
- Students will need to apply for the Excelsior Scholarship. The application will be available in late-May 2017. Students can sign-up to be notified when the application becomes available. Please click here to sign up: Excelsior Notification
- The Governor’s Office has tasked Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) with the responsibility of administering the Excelsior Scholarship. HESC is currently in the process of writing the regulations which are expected to be published in the upcoming month(s). As of now, here are the basic eligibility requirements:
- Must be a NYS Resident with a family household adjusted gross income of $100,000 or less for the 2017-2018 award year.
- Must attend a SUNY or CUNY college; SUNY SCCC is a member institution.
- The maximum last-dollar award is $5,500 per year.
- The first eligible semester is Fall 2017.
- Students must be able to graduate “on-time.” This means students must complete their two-year degree in two years or less, they must complete 30 academic credits per year, and register for a minimum of 12 credits per semester.
- A recipient of the Excelsior Scholarship must reside in New York State for the number of years equal to the award received. For example, if a student receives the awards for two years they must live in NYS for two years after college.
SUNY SCCC recognizes that the Excelsior Scholarship is a valuable tool that will aid many New York State residents and we are committed to sharing the most up-to-date information that is available with our students. Please visit the two links below for a valuable Question and Answer platform that is hosted the SUNY and HESC.
SUNY Excelsior Scholarship Q & A
HESC Excelsior Scholarship Q & A
The SUNY SCCC Financial Aid Office is happy to answer questions the best they can with the knowledge that is currently available. Please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or comments.