Making The Right Choice
We know that figuring out how to pay for college can be difficult and confusing at times. To help us determine the best way to help you fund your education, we encourage you to apply for financial aid―even if you think you won’t qualify for much assistance.
As a student at Schenectady County Community College, you may be eligible for:
- Federal grants (financial aid that doesn’t have to be repaid)
- State grants (financial aid that doesn't have to be repaid)
- Scholarships and awards (financial aid that doesn't have to be repaid)
- Federal work study (part-time employment to earn money for education)
- Loans (borrowed money that must be repaid with interest)
Applying for and understanding how to pay for college now is essential as you embark on your college journey―but achieving financial literacy can’t wait until you graduate.
By understanding how to pay for your education, manage your expenses and become a financially savvy consumer, you’ll be one step closer to a bright future.
Commit to learning about:
- Lowering your living expenses
- Saving and investing your money
- Building good credit
- Understanding your credit score
- Being disciplined with credit card use
- Securing your future through insurance and retirement funds
We offer a free resource that can walk you through everything you need to know about financial literacy. SUNY Smart Track Financial Avenue is an online learning environment that empowers students for a lifetime of financial success. The interactive financial aid literacy tools can assist students to achieve smart money management skills. Courses and modules cover topics that include budgeting, credit cards, identify theft, paying for college, banking, debt, working in college, and savings.
For more information on Financial Aid options (Loans and Grants, or the FAFSA process) please visit our Financial Aid page.
If you’re interested in applying for a scholarship or awards (financial aid that doesn’t have to be repaid), please visit the College’s Scholarship page. You are strongly encouraged to apply for a Scholarship at SCCC. Many scholarships aren’t awarded, because students haven’t applied for them!
If you’re interested in setting up a payment plan with the College (paying for your courses over a specific time frame) please visit our Payment Plans page.