Yield: 1 - 10" tart
400 g Pastry flour
10 g salt
10 g sugar
200 g butter; unsalted and chilled
130 g eggs
20 g water
4 drops vanilla extract
4 g lemon zest grated
- Sift the flour, salt and sugar into a bowl.
- Cut the butter into small cubes. Rub it into the flour until the mixture looks like fine corn meal.
- Mix the eggs, water, vanilla, and zest. Pour the mixture into the well in the flour. Mix to a soft dough. Knead slightly and then flatten into a disk. Wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll into circle and line a 10 inch tart pan.
90 g butter
90 g sugar
1 g lemon zest
50 g egg
20 g egg yolk
2 drops vanilla extract
90 g powdered almonds
30 g cake flour
- Cream the butter, sugar, and zest until pale and light
- Add the eggs, yolk, and vanilla a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the powdered almonds and flour.
8 Pear halves; canned
Apricot jam; as needed
Putting the tart together:
Remove from the oven and brush gently with melted apricot jam
- Spread the almond cream in the bottom of the pastry lined tart pan.
- Drain the pears well and cut them crosswise into thin slices, but keep the slices together in the shape of a pear half.
- Arrange the pears halves on top of the almond cream like spokes of a wheel. Do not cover all the filling with the pears. Push them gently into the cream.
- Bake at 375°F for about 35-40 minutes.
Recipe by the School of Hotel, Culinary Arts and Tourism, Schenectady County Community College