|1/8-inch slices pancetta, chopped*
||3 - thinly sliced
|Fresh bread crumbs**
|Brussels sprouts, fresh
|Grated parmesan cheese
|Salt and ground black pepper
* Bacon can be substituted or omitted for vegetarian version
** Day old or older bread is best; process in food processor to make fine crumbs.
- Clean Brussels sprouts; strip dried outer leaves, trim stem and cut an X in the bottom of the stem.
- Blanch the sprouts in plenty of salted boiling water until just fork tender. Shock in ice water. Drain. Cut each sprout lengthwise into halves or thirds depending on size. Reserve.
- Heat oil in skillet; add pancetta and sauté until crisp. Add the garlic and sauté until just golden.
- Move mixture to sides of pan; add the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and sauté until golden brown.
- Add the sliced Brussels sprouts and cook until tender and heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, drizzle with olive oil and enjoy.
Recipe by Rocco Verrigni, Professor, School of Hotel, Culinary Arts and Tourism Schenectady County Community College