Pinch of cream of tartar
113g heavy cream
1 Vanilla bean; split
7g vanilla extract
85g amber rum
- Scald milk and cream with the split vanilla bean. Cover and steep for 30 minutes to allow the vanilla to flavor the milk.
- While the milk is steeping, prepare the glaze. Boil the sugar, water, and cream of tartar until the sugar caramelizes. Pour a small amount into the bottom of each custard cup.
- After the 30 minutes, reheat the milk to the scalding point. While the milk is heating, whip the eggs and sugar by hand until pale.
- Strain the hot milk into the eggs while stirring, but do not make it foamy. Stir in the extract and rum.
- Pour into glazed custard cups. Bake in a hot water bath in a 325ºdeck oven until set, approximately 45 minutes.
Recipe by the School of Hotel, Culinary Arts and Tourism, Schenectady County Community College