Yield: 10 tarts
Crisp, buttery pastry shell filled with sautéed apples and caramel sauce
- Prepare your favorite pie crust recipe. Chill
- Prepare a batch of caramel sauce (recipe below)
- Roll out chilled pastry to 1/8th inch, cut circles and form straight sided tarts in 4 inch ring molds. Chill again.
- Peel and core 6 apples. Thinly slice (1/8th inch) on the mandolin, and then cut slices in half.
- Place a generous teaspoon of cooled caramel sauce in each pastry shell.
- Top with enough apple slices to fill the pastry, fanning slightly to fit. Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake in the oven at 375º until the pastry is crisp and the apples are tender.
340 g sugar
57 g water
1/2 tsp lemon juice
340 g heavy cream
57 g butter
Boil the water, lemon juice, and sugar until caramelized. Remove from heat and stir in the heavy cream (Be careful ‑it will splatter). Return to low heat and cook until smooth. Remove from the stove and stir in the butter.
Recipe by the School of Hotel, Culinary Arts and Tourism, Schenectady County Community College