The Teacher Education Transfer A.S. program prepares students for transfer and eventual
licensure by providing a solid liberal arts foundation and
pre-professional courses. The Teacher Education Transfer program enables graduates to:
- identify the opportunities and challenges facing the teaching profession to
- explore career options and assess their readiness to assume a professional status;
experience direct observations in educational settings; and
- participate in a professional community dedicated to ethical practice an
d cultural diversity.
The Teacher Education Transfer A.S. curriculum is designed for students who want t
o transfer to a teacher education program at a four-year college or
university. The program serves those interested in teaching grades K-12. The
curriculum is compliant with all SUNY and New York State Education
Department (SED) requirements for transfer to a baccalaureate program leading to teacher certification.
The mission of the Teacher Education Transfer A.S. program is to assist in the preparation of highly qualified, trained professionals for public service in the field of education. The program will prepare students for transfer and eventual licensure by providing a solid liberal arts foundation and pre-professional courses.
The program prepares graduates to
Goal I: Demonstrate a liberal arts foundation for transfer to a 4-year pre-professional teaching program.
- Explore the social, historical, and philosophical origins of the American Educational System
- Locate and analyze research and written texts in the field using a variety of electronic and print sources
- Produce oral and written arguments
- Utilize mathematical and scientific reasoning
- Demonstrate the concepts of human learning
Goal II: Demonstrate an understanding of factors that contribute to professional status.
- Complete a minimum of 30 observation hours in educational settings
- Demonstrate effective reflective practice on observation experiences
- Create and select academic and professional artifacts to support a pre-professional portfolio
Goal III: Demonstrate an understanding of the role of the teaching professional dedicated to ethical practice and cultural responsiveness.
- Identify the requirements for teacher preparation and certification, following SUNY, SED, and NCATE guidelines
- Demonstrate an awareness of the conceptual framework of the NCATE standards
- Identify culturally responsive practices in teacher education in terms of faculty, curriculum and students
- Define service learning and create a service learning unit plan
NOTE: Before working in a public educational setting, prospective employees will be required to undergo a fingerprint check. Individuals with a
criminal history should be aware that they may have difficulty obtaining
clearance for student teaching and/or New York State Teacher Licensing.
Students with questions in this area may want to consult an advisor or college counselor before pursuing the TET program.