The purpose of Tutor Services at SCCC is two-fold:
- To support and assist those students who require academic assistance so that they may successfully complete their educational goals;
- To provide meaningful employment in peer tutoring for successful and accomplished students.
Tutor Services provides weekly tutoring sessions in many courses using Upswing, a scheduling software, for both in-person and online tutoring.
This service is provided free to all registered students, whether full- or part-time, day or evening students. Peer (student) tutors are faculty approved and trained by the Academic Services staff. Well-trained peer tutors serve a vital role in helping fellow students reach their academic goals.
Tutor Services also provides Professional Tutors, individuals who have completed their course of study and are considered expert in their respective fields.
Note: students seeking walk-in tutoring without prior appointment can visit the Math Lab or the Accounting and CIS Labs. Walk-in tutoring in many other subjects is available at the Learning Center/Writing Lab.
Information for how to sign up for tutoring can be found below or downloaded here, and is available in Begley Library, Room 210.
Welcome to SCCC’s NEW Tutor Scheduling Software for FALL 2017!
WELCOME TO UPSWING!
SCCC’s new software to find a one-to-one tutor.
In just a few easy steps:
- Go to: https://sunysccc.upswing.io
- Log in with your MYSCCC login information (Your portal information)
- Click on “Meet with a Tutor”
- Search the course you want a tutor for (ex: MAT 085 or College Algebra, etc.)
- Click on a tutors name (look first at the names in the blue boxes, as these are our SCCC staff)
- Click on “Schedule a Session” and search for a day and time (in green) that works for you (Remember, all sessions are an hour) and select “In Person” (or “Online” if there are no in person sessions available and you want to do an online session) and Duration “1 hour”
- Please note: Appointments must be made at least 72 hours in advance!
- To make a weekly appointment, repeat Step 7 for each week you want a tutor. Book early, and book for a majority or all of the semester if possible!
- The tutor will get the request email and then will respond. You will then get an email with that confirmation. It will be sent to t your SCCC e-mail address!
- If you scheduled an in-person session: Go to 203 Begley (2nd floor of the library) and have an awesome tutoring session! (If you have an online session: Sign in to your account and click on “Go to Session”, and it will bring you to the virtual whiteboard where you will work with your online tutor via chat, video or voice options)
Please schedule your sessions at least 72 hours in advance.
(You can book tutoring sessions for the entire semester, which is highly recommended for consistency!)
Should you have any questions or accessibility issues, please contact the
Tutor Coordinator (Aubrey Seppa-Hodgkins)
Please note that by using the system you are agreeing to the terms found here:
SCCC One-to-One Tutoring Contract
You must read and follow directions carefully.
(failure to do so may result in a delay in tutoring)
- By using this scheduling software, you acknowledge the rules of the One-to-One Tutoring program and understand that failure to follow them could result in cancellation of tutoring services for the semester.
- By agreeing to participate in the program, you are accepting the responsibility to make your own appointments consistent with the expectations of the program.
- By agreeing to participate in the One-to-One Tutoring Program, you acknowledge that the program does not guarantee a tutor.
- The role of a one-to-one tutor is to help you better understand concepts and processes on a consistent weekly basis, not to provide answers. There is always something to work on! A goal of tutoring is for you to feel comfortable and confident with material, so you can work independently without assistance, and perhaps become a tutor yourself!
- Tutoring sessions are NOT to be used to do homework, take home exams or ANY graded assignment. You and your tutor will work on the skills you need to work on the assignment on your own.
- Tutoring requires COMMITMENT and RESPECT between you, the tutor and others around you-much like any other professional relationship (i.e. doctor, lawyer, professor).
- ALL students are expected to behave in accordance with SCCC Student Code of Conduct. Violations will result in immediate dismissal from the tutoring program.
- You are eligible for one hour per week per course for up to three courses for tutoring.
- All tutoring assignments you request in the system need to be made and approved by the tutor. A confirmation email will be sent to you when your tutor confirms.
- Your tutoring assignment will be E-MAILED to you to your SCCC email address. It will come from “Upswing” Please check your junk/spam folder.
- Exchange contact information with your tutor and keep it where you can find it easily.
- Put your tutoring session appointments in your planner/calendar/schedule.
- Make a copy of your syllabus to give to your tutor at your first meeting.
- COME PREPARED! Complete your reading and come with questions.
- Bring your textbook, notes and other materials. Have your Blackboard passwords available.
- You are allowed one (1) no show OR cancellation with less than 24 hours advance notice. If you miss for a second time, your tutoring may be canceled for the remainder of the semester. Tardiness is also tracked, so please show up on time! You may be able to re-apply by setting up a meeting with the Tutor Coordinator in 210 Begley.
- If you need to cancel or reschedule a tutoring session you must contact your tutor directly at least 24 hours in advance.
- Cell phones are not to be used during a tutoring session unless it is for educational purposes.
- At the end of each session, please sign your tutor’s time sheet.
- Tutors and the Tutor Coordinator reserve the right to end a session if there is a violation of these policies.
- If you drop a course or feel you no longer need a tutor please contact the Tutor Coordinator in 210 Begley so as to not affect future tutoring opportunities.
- If you have a tutor compliment/question/concern/complaint, please see Aubrey Seppa-Hodgkins, the Tutor Coordinator in 210 Begley.